jueves, 25 de agosto de 2016

WShortcuts, an App to make your life easier!


What is WShortcuts?

Wshortcuts is an easy-to-use program that I made since I couldn't find anything in the Internet containing all-in-one the main programs and features that I need everyday.

WShortcuts comes as a contraction of Windows Shortcuts.

I hope you find it useful!





How WShortcuts was born?
When I am watching my favorite series and movies lying on my bed I use the keyboard and the mouse to control remotely my PC. Once I want to sleep I want to leave the computer ON, e.g. downloading something, but I want to turn OFF the monitor. I had to get up to do this, which I hated!

In this way, I got the idea to create a simple program that lets me turn OFF the monitor while I am in bed, and that was the first function of this program!

Once I did this, I decided to add more functions that I use every day, e.g. open YouTube, Facebook, Lock the Computer, etc.



How does WShortcuts work?
There are two operation modes:

1. Windows Interface Mode. 
This is the easy way, just clicking the buttons for the wanted function. The icons are self-descriptive.

2. Command Line Mode and Shortcuts. 
You can use the command line to run some of the programmed functions, e.g. you can reboot your computer using the WShortcuts rs command.

This is very useful when you want to use WShortcuts to automate any of its functions, or when you need to call them from other applications.

Also, you can create shortcuts in the Desktop as follows:

a. Right click to WShortcuts.exe, drag it and release it, then select "Create shortcuts here".

b. You'll get:


c. Right click in the new file and click in Properties. A new windows will show as follows:



d. In this example my app is located in C:\WShortcuts, this will change depending on where you place the application.

To make the shortcut works, just add a command right after "C:\WShortcuts\WShortcuts.exe" in this example I added mo, this command shutdowns the monitor.

Accept the changes and copy the new shortcut to the Desktop

The available commands are::

lo - Logs off Windows session.
rs - Reboots Windows.
sd - Shutdowns the PC.
mo - Shutdowns the Screen.
lk - Locks the PC.
ml - Shutdowns the Screen and Locks the PC.

In Windows mode, the buttons log off/reboot and shutdown will requite a confirmation to proceed, but when using command line mode no confirmation is required.

Try creating your shortcuts!!



All Functions Description:
There are 3 main menus, each one comprises 9 predefined functions. There is also a sliding control that allows us to adjust the screen brightness.

There is a button called Get Computer Info, this button shows us the main computer information.



Menu 1. Common Tasks.


By appearing order:
  1. Log off Windows. 
  2. Reboot PC. 
  3. Shutdown PC.
  4. Shutdown screen. 
  5. Lock Windows. 
  6. Shutdown screen and lock Windows.
  7. Create new text file. 
  8. Mute system. 
  9. Open the default web browser.


Menu 2. Internet.
Opens the default web browser with then next web pages.


  1. Google. 
  2. Youtube. 
  3. Wikipedia.
  4. Facebook. 
  5. Twitter. 
  6. Blogger.
  7. Amazon. 
  8. Yahoo! 
  9. LinkedIn.

Menu 3. System.
These are shortcuts for some of the most used system functions.


  1. Install or uninstall programs. 
  2. Control Panel. 
  3. Device Manager.
  4. Safely remove hardware. 
  5. User accounts. 
  6. Keyboard, region and language options.
  7. Display options. 
  8. Devices and printers. 
  9. Sound properties.
Note: The file CoreAudio.dll must be in the same folder as the WShortcuts.exe file, this dll allows to read the audio controls.


Share if you liked it! 
Your comments will make this app better!